Saturday, July 19, 2014

SONG: SURE CURE



My primary care physician
has sent me on a mission
to cure my heart’s condition
over you
He wrote out this prescription
in his scribbled inscription
my twice-a-day precision
of what to do

When I see you each morning
I’ll grab you without warning
and dance
With no “I beg your pardon”
I’ll waltz you through the garden
Like Fred and Ginger’s stardom
we’ll dance
No matter what the weather
we’ll learn our steps together
through life’s impromptu measures
let’s dance

We’ll begin the Beguine
try a slow-tempo Bolero
syncopate our cha-cha-cha
through halls wide and narrow
om-pah through the Chicken Dance
Shoot! Even create The Sparrow
we’ll make it new
just me and you

As the sun sets each evening
you can bet I won’t be leaving
we’ll dance
To prove our love’s forever true
we’ll Fandango and Boogaloo
Charleston, Tango, and Can-Can too
Hip-hop and Lindy all night through!...

Or maybe
we’d both prefer
to pause
no Two-Step
not even stir
because

the soft dark
invites romance for us
the far stars
will take a chance on us
They’ll light the skies
and our glowing eyes
as they dance

Roger Armbrust
July 19, 2014