Saturday, May 9, 2015

SONG: SOON I GOTTA LET THAT OLE DOG GO


for Mandy McBryde

She came slinkin’ tonight into my yard
Another lost heart caught me off guard
Storm chasing her to my loving arms
What do I do now? ‘Cause I know
Soon I gotta let that ole dog go

She’s lying there on my couch’s red cover
Not lying like those other lost lovers
Our mission’s to keep each other from harm
Oh, what do I do now? ‘Cause I know
Soon I gotta let that ole dog go

She’s real super sweet and snuggly
Missing somebody tonight who’s dear
I wish it were me. I’m glad she’s here
I’m missing someone who treats me ugly
Still it’s good he’s gone. I’m glad she’s here

Stars breaking through. She’s scratching the door
Gazing at me like lost lovers before
Longing to break from my loving arms
What do I do now? I guess you know:
I open the door. Let that ole dog go
Linger in the doorway, watching her go

Roger Armbrust
May 9, 2015