Sunday, February 9, 2014

SONG: MIDNIGHT TRAIN FROM LITTLE ROCK

Climbin’ on that midnight train from Little Rock
as it pulls down long tracks so slow
Huddled in my window seat listenin’ to Bach
No idea where this train goes

Slippin’ a stack of greens to the conductor
He’s starin’ real mean like he knows
I’m lost. Sad and lost. I could use a benefactor
to back my solo solip's show

I was born there in Small Pebble
snide term that curls the locals’ smiles
Made my mark as a rot-gut rebel
drinkin’ rot-gut booze with a rot-gut style

The pale moon hurdles through stark winter trees
Their ebony bare arms try to block
the light…Can’t block me…Rot-gut rebel…Do as I please…
Cryin’ on that midnight train from Little Rock
Needin’ to sober up so I can take stock
Bleedin’ so deep down feels like it’ll never stop
Needin’ to sober up so I can take stock
Needin’ to sober up so I can take stock

Roger Armbrust
February 9, 2014