Tuesday, February 14, 2012

“ROMANZA”

avessi almeno il coraggio
e la forza di dirti
che sono con te.*



As we listen to Bocelli’s tenor
describe her sleeping, I’m sorry he can’t
see you watch him, feeling rising splendor
of sacred aria under Tuscan
moon shining on this vast outdoor temple
of a stage. But I watch you, knowing he
senses you here, the vast way your dimpled
smile can challenge the moon. I hear his plea
for your sacred eyes: poi con gli occhi
lei mi viene a cercare
**…He must know
those countless nights I’ve prayed in dark archways
for your healing spirit, kissed your soft brow
and mouth in visions. The audience stands,
praising his presence with passionate hands.

Roger Armbrust
February 14, 2012


*If at least I had the courage
and the strength to tell you
that I am with you.


**then with her eyes
she comes to look for me


--lyrics from “Romanza”