Thursday, November 22, 2007

THE POWER OF KEEPING IT SIMPLE

I’m not drinking today. I don’t know why,
really, except someone said to come here
every day. And someone said take this book
and read it, and then let’s talk. And someone
said I just couldn’t stop, and my life went
to hell, nearly killed my wife one night when
she grabbed my Wild Turkey and threw it out.
And someone said me too. And someone said
I just drank beer, never took any drugs.
And I said me too. And someone said you
need to tell her you were wrong. And I said
can’t I just tell you. And someone just looked
at me and didn’t speak until I said
I’ll go tell her now. And someone said on
your way, stay quiet and pray. And as I
was leaving the room, someone said my first
name, shook hands, and then said keep coming back.
I do that. And I’m not drinking today.




Roger Armbrust
July 6, 2001